MAGNUS The Profane Shiraz, Carneros, Sonoma Valley
WHY WE LOVE IT:
- Inaugural Release, vineyard designated wine—Exclusive to Travelfood
- Las Madres Vineyard in Carneros is called the "To Kalon of Syrah vineyards" by Thomas Rivers Brown
- Mouth filling denseness, but not jammy, and beautifully spiced
WINEMAKER: Jacqueline Yoakum. Consulting winemaker Italics, Buhman, Greggarious. Alumni of Littorai, Schramsberg, Keller, Stags Leap Wine Cellars.
WHAT WE TASTED: Immediate deep aromas, dense mouth feel, spices and red peppercorns firing off in your mouth. But, co-fermented hint of Viognier is there with apricot and floral notes, subtle, as it should be. While the Syrah's heritage is cool climate Northern Rhone Hermitage, this New World style is more fruit forward. This is not meaty or gamey, rather its the land of the living!
AVA DESIGNATED: Napa Valley
WHAT WE PAIRED:
- Pulled pork sandwiches with red cabbage spicy slaw
- Spiced Toffee Nut Cake with sprinkled ginger on top
- Cheese plate or Morbier, Pecorino, Idiazabal
PERSONALITY: Magnus Wines are based in history; under new world terror. Magnus is a new brand that is the embodiment of an “alter ego.” Where we see dragons, the little girl inside in cape and mask is making it all happen. Try it. You’ll discover powerful dragons. And the pleasures of a vineyard's complexity revealing the magic of wildcrafted wines.
- Only 140 cases made
- 14.6% Alcohol
- 65% New American Oak (MN/PN fine grain)