HIGHLANDS Cabernet Sauvignon, Oak Knoll - 2014
WHY WE LOVE IT:
- The 2014 vintage - 3rd drought year - brought near perfect concentration, tannin and flavor
- A premium Napa Cab that isn't $150
- Exemplary food friendly wine
WINEMAKER: Bradley Smith; Silenus.
WHAT WE TASTED: Deep, dark expressive nose of blackberry, blueberry and creamy root beer and vanilla. The palate boasts cocoa and cassis and more dark fruit that give way to supple mouth feel and silky tannins.
AVA DESIGNATED: Oak Knoll, Napa Valley
WHAT WE PAIRED:
- New York steak with grilled onions, blue cheese compound butter
- William Sonoma’s roast leg of lamb
- Marinated flank steak, roasted winter vegetables
PERSONALITY: From a Silver Oak alumni partnering with a long time high-end grape grower for Chateau Montelena and Caymus. These gents know where the good grapes grow.
- 92% Napa Cabernet Sauvignon 8% Napa Merlot
- 22 Months in 33% New French Oak
- Half ton macro bin fermentation