BUHMAN Chardonnay, Carneros
WHY WE LOVE IT:
- Founding Napa Farmer, 130 years and 6 generations
- Estate grown from historical site on Buhman Avenue
- Artessa, Prisoner, Mumm use Buhman grapes
- Outstanding creamy core from 10 months on the lees and 8 month soak of French Oak beans
WINEMAKER: Jacqueline Yoakum. Consulting winemaker Italics and Magnus. Alumni of Littorai Schramsberg, Keller, Stags Leap Wine Cellars, Brahma, and Greggarious.
WHAT WE TASTED: The Buhman chardonnay is medium golden, tropical and apple aromas with citrus spice. Juicy fruit and custard like notes with beautifully integrated oak. Creamy with the right acidity for food pairing.
AVA DESIGNATED: Carneros, Napa
WHAT WE PAIRED:
- Sautéed skate wings with a butter caper sauce, lemon rice
- Bouchon’s roasted chicken with roasted winter vegetables
- Pappardelle with porcini and Reggiano parmesan
PERSONALITY: The historic and famous cattle ranch is nested on the curvy country road named Buhman Avenue in the heart of Napa Valley. John Jacob Buhman began raising cattle on this ranch over 130 years ago, and his descendants continue to do so today, as well as farming 35 acres of vineyards.
- Barrel aged on the lees
- Malolactic in neutral barrels
- Only 125 cases made